DSP 800 Multi-Purpose Stripper
Powerful, fast-acting stripper for removing single and 2-pack paints
- Fast-acting formula can remove paint in as little as 5 minutes
- Dichloromethane (Methylene Chloride) free
- Gel formula which will not run or sag
- Surface can be recoated after just 6 hours
- Suitable for removing car paints
DSP 800 is a powerful, ‘Dichloromethane’ free multi-purpose stripper, for the removal of all coating types – Alkyd, Acrylic, PU, Epoxy, Cellulose, RSE (semi-thick coating), RPE (thick plastic coating) and more. It is a very strong stripper that can even remove 2-Pack paints and powder coatings without damaging the substrate making it perfect for a wide range of applications.
Fast-acting and ready to use, DSP 800 works on all surfaces (except plastic), leaving a clean, coating free surface that can be refinished after just 6 hours. Containing no acid, caustic soda or potash, DSP800 will not darken wood and thus requires no neutralisation after use.
Ideal Uses for Owatrol’s DSP 800 Stripper
- Removing car paint
- Stripping interior and exterior wood surfaces
- Getting rid of unwanted carpet glue
- Stripping paint from stone and cement walls
Do not use on plastics, GRP or other similar type surfaces – risk of dissolving surface.
Avoid prolonged contact with aluminium.
*Actual coverage will depend on the type of finish and numbers of coats being stripped and thickness of DSP 800 applied.
Remove any loose and flaking paint and brush off any physical surface contamination e.g. moss, general dirt etc.
Application of Owatrol’s DSP 800 Multi-Purpose Stripper
First apply a uniform layer of DSP 800 to a small test area, according to the coating to be stripped (see information below). Allow to work. Periodically test with a scraper to see if the finish is softening. When the coating has softened, blistered or cracked and can easily be removed then the optimal working time has been established. If after 45 min there is no result, apply again and continue the test.
Apply a uniform layer of DSP 800 according to the coating to be stripped. Allow it to work in accordance with the test carried out above. Remove the stripper and coating with a scraper or scrubbing brush. On delicate wood use a soft brass brush. On interior wood use a scraper or soft brass brush.
Caution: If the coating being stripped is an acrylic do not allow DSP 800 to dry, as this makes scrubbing and removal of the coating difficult.
Note: DSP 800 is also recommended for use on old oiled or waxed wooden floors. The use of DSP 800 prevents clogging and unnecessary changing of the sanding sheets.
DSP 800 may also be used for ‘dry stripping’. Allow the mix of coating and DSP 800 to dry 2 to 3 hours before removing. Not recommended on wood.
Average working times and coating instructions
- Alkyd (Glycerophtalic) /Oil-based paint – apply a thick coat of DSP 800 and allow 5 minutes per coat
- Alkyd (Glycerophtalic) /Oil-based stain and varnish – apply a thin coat of DSP 800 and allow 7-10 minutes per coat
- Acrylic paints, stains and varnishes – apply a thick coat of DSP 800 and allow 45 minutes (may need to be done twice)
- Other coatings: 2pk epoxy, cellulose, RSE, RPE, Powder coatings, etc. – apply a thick coat of DSP and allow 7-45 minutes (according to your test)
The above are average working times only. The actual working time will be dictated by the condition and number of coats being removed. A test should be carried out to determine the actual contact time required to remove the coating(s).
The paraffin in DSP 800 creates a film on top of the stripper to avoid evaporation of the active ingredients. Once the stripper has destroyed the old coating, it starts to attack the paraffin, this can lead to particles of paraffin being left on the surface, which can affect the adhesion and appearance of the new finish. It is therefore important to treat the surface as directed in ‘After Stripping’ below.
Rinse the surface with warm water, white spirit, acetone or mechanically sand (80, 100 or 120 grit paper) the surface to remove any paraffin residue.
Clean all tools and equipment with warm water or White Spirit.
Things to Remember
- For coatings in sound condition, DSP 800 will be more effective if the surface is scratched e.g. sanded. Scratching the surface ensures that the active ingredients can penetrate the underlying films more easily making removal of the coating easier
- Surfaces treated with DSP 800 may be slippy underfoot. Tread with care
- Cover and protect everything you do not wish to strip
- Ensure working environment is well ventilated
- Wear chemical resistant gloves (Nitrile, Neoprene, PVA…), safety goggles and protective clothing
- Open container with care, to avoid sudden release of pressure
- Always close tightly after each use
- Do not pierce the container
- Shake well before use
- Do not apply to a hot surface, in full sun or in a hot environment
- DSP 800 is highly volatile
|Coverage:||1.25 – 4 m2 per litre|
|Tools:||Synthetic brush, synthetic scrubbing brush, soft brass brush, scraper
|Suitable for:||Exterior & Interior use
|Clean up:||Warm water or White Spirits
|Average working time:
||See Directions for Use tab
||Not for use on plastics or GRPs
||Wood, metal (ferrous/non-ferrous – avoid prolonged use on aluminium), stone, cement, ceramic