Premium hardwood oil for interior and exterior use
- Clear protection giving a rich, matt finish
- Perfect for protecting teak and exotic hardwoods
- Maintains & enhances the wood’s natural beauty
- Easy maintenance with no sanding or stripping
- Will not blacken due to UV exposure
Teak-Olje is a blend of Owatrol Oil and high-quality teak oil for Teak and other exotic hardwoods. Protecting and enhancing the natural beauty of the wood, Teak Olje is a deep penetrating, clear oil that gives a rich warm appearance to any treated wood surface. Suitable for both inside and outside use, Teak-Olje replaces the natural oils lost by exterior wood in the weathering process and will not blacken when exposed to UV rays making it ideal for garden furniture.
As a saturating oil, Teak-Olje protects and nourishes the wood from within its pores rather than forming a film on the surface which means that it will not peel or flake. It is easy to maintain with no sanding or stripping required and gives a rich, matt finish.
Ideal Uses for Teak-Olje
- Protecting outdoor furniture against UV damage
- Enhancing the natural beauty of exotic hardwoods
- Penetrating into dense and oily woods
- Protecting interior hardwood surfaces
- Showcasing high-quality woods with clear teak oil protection
Surface Preparation for Teak Olje
Surfaces must first be thoroughly clean, dry and free of dirt, grease, grime, mildew and previous coatings. Treat any mildew with a 50/50 bleach/water solution. Scrub the solution onto the surface and leave it to stand for 10-15 minutes before rinsing thoroughly. After stripping and cleaning allow 2-3 days for the wood to fully dry out before applying the finish.
Teak-Olje may only be applied to bare wood surfaces or a wood surface previously finished with Teak-Olje. ALL other finishes must be completely and thoroughly removed. If necessary sand the surface after cleaning and/or stripping (80 grit paper).
New wood surfaces
Interior – sand the wood with 100 grit paper to open the pores, dust off and then degrease the surface with methylated spirits (denatured alcohol).
Exterior – Prepare as for interior wood OR treat the surface with Aquanett and then neutralise with Net-Trol. New wood surfaces have a hard shiny surface called mill glaze that prevents maximum penetration and bonding of any finish and this should be removed before starting the application. Sanding or treating the wood with Aquanett removes this, ensuring maximum performance of the finish.
For Iroko, Padouk and Keruing please see restrictions.
Weathered wood surfaces (untreated)
Previously oiled surfaces
Previously coated surfaces (paint, stain, varnish, waterproofers…)
*Woods high in tannins such as teak, iroko, merbau and oak may darken when stripping with Aquanett and Dilunett. Neutralising with Net-Trol will lighten and restore the colour.
Application of Teak-Olje Premium Hardwood Oil
Apply 2 even applications of Teak-Olje, ‘wet-on-wet’. To do this, first apply the initial coat and allow it to penetrate (normally 15-30 minutes). At this point apply the second coat and allow this to penetrate. If necessary, apply more coats following the same process until the wood is ‘saturated’ and will take no more oil.
Do not allow the Teak-Olje to become touch dry between applications, work in sections for larger projects to ensure this. Brush out or wipe up any excess Teak-Olje with a lint-free cloth 15-20 minutes after the last application to avoid shiny spots.
Note: Teak-Olje is not a surface coating, its place is in the wood and not on the surface. Teak-Olje protects by penetrating the wood, providing a rich, matt finish.
Teak-Olje will gradually lighten over time due to exposure to the sun and UV rays. When the wood has taken on an un-oiled appearance or has lightened to a light grey colour, it is time for a maintenance application. Clean the surface with Net-Trol and allow it to fully dry. Then apply Teak-Olje wet-on-wet until the wood is saturated and the finish restored, usually, 1 or 2 applications will be sufficient.
Clean all tools and equipment with white spirits while still wet. If the product has dried use paint stripper to remove it. Any rags, steel wool etc soaked in Teak-Olje may spontaneously catch fire if improperly discarded. Rags, steel wool etc. must be saturated with water after use or placed in a sealed, water-filled metal container, before disposing with household waste
The tannins and natural oils in woods such as Keruing, Iroko and Padouk impede the penetration and drying of finishes. These species of wood should be thoroughly prepared or allowed to weather for 12 months before applying Teak-Olje. Contact us for preparation advice.
Things to Remember
- Use as is, do not thin.
- Shake or stir can thoroughly before application.
- Cover everything you do not wish to coat, including plants and shrubs.
- Apply between 5°C and 35°C.
- Do not apply if cold and/or wet weather is expected within 24 hours.
- Always work the entire length of the piece of wood being oiled to a logical break.
- Vertical surfaces should be coated from top to bottom.
- Never stop application in the middle of a piece of wood.
- Never apply in direct sunlight or to hot surfaces.
- Do not allow to dry between coats – apply Teak-Olje ‘wet on wet’.
- After spray application, always back-brush or back-roll to improve penetration and uniformity of coverage.